Quote of the Week

Miss a meal if you have to, but never miss a book!

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Columbine



In 1999, the worst school massacre ( up until that time) in US History happened in a little town in Colorado. The school was Columbine. If you were old enough to remember, it was a horrific and terrifying event. It made many Americans feel like there was no where that their children were safe.

I was just home from the hospital. My baby was 2 days old when the tragedy happened. I remember watching many news reports about the bullying and the Trench coat mafia, only to find out when reading this book that all of those suppositions were wrong.

I have always been curious about the cases of Columbine, I wanted to understand why this tragedy happened. I think it's human nature to want to understand the why. After reading the book, I have a crystal clear understanding of the who, what, where and when of the events leading up to the shootings. I am still fairly clueless on the why.

Dylan was depressed. Eric was a psychopath (really, I would never have guessed that) . These seem like simplistic explanations to me. They are almost too convenient. They are rationals, but no definitive reasons are clear. Then I realized that that's part of what's wrong with being a pyschopath - there really aren't any clear reasons. Maybe there can't be.

I do think I have a better understanding of the families. Do I believe that two parents, as in the case of the Kleibolds, can try their best, love their child, work hard to be good parents and yet still raise a child that does something like this? Yes, I do. Do I think Dylans parents probably made mistakes? Well don't we all. I think Dylan is ( aside from the victims) part of the real tragedy here. He could have been more.

Eric Harris - I think he was a murderer from the get go. I think his parents contributed to his mental health problems and covered up the warning signs thereby deluding themselves and others.

My favorite story in the book was Patrick - one of the victims in the library that fateful day. He had to learn to walk and talk again, and yet, he still fulfilled his dream of being valedictorian. Proof that anything truly is possible. He was a light in a great darkness.

I'm off to happier projects now. I hope that as the 11th anniversary approaches the survivors can find peace....

No comments:

Post a Comment