Quote of the Week

Miss a meal if you have to, but never miss a book!

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Football and Forgiveness




I may not be from West Texas, but I am from Western Pennsylvania and we know all about high school ball and the Friday Night Lights. This book was definitely like a journey home in some respects. I could have been written about the people that I know, or have watched play while I was growing up.

This is the story of one man, Neely Crenshaw, facing his past and finding forgiveness. It is also the story of a town, a football tradition and the man who inspired them all. Coach Rake is dying and his boys come home to pay their final respects.

I was hesitant about the book in the beginning, it was a little slow to develop at first and not your typical Grisham book. I was glad that I stuck it out. I loved the choices that Coach Rake made for his eulogy. From them we get an amazing perspective of one man's life and how he influenced so many. Mainly though, it's about forgiveness - forgiving others and most importantly, forgiving ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment