Quote of the Week

Miss a meal if you have to, but never miss a book!

Monday, April 26, 2010

Fluke or I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings



I picked this book because, well, deep down I really am a whale lover. I don't know too many people, women especially, who aren't. The book is about a man who is a researcher working out of Hawaii trying to discover what makes the male humpback sing. The initial part of the book was very good. Nate, the main character of the book, was trying to uncover what exactly whales are communicating, if anything, in their song.
Things get dicey when Nate gets a little too close to unveiling the truth about the whales.

That is when things took a turn for the weird. When Amelia Earheardt showed up, I threw in the towel. Some readers say that this work is amazing funny and I guess if you enjoy the BIZARRE then this work is for you. As for me, I think that while the author is advocating for conservation, when you take a serious subject matter that you supposedly support and turn it into a big joke, I believe that you do your cause a disservice.

I honestly can not think of a single person that I would recommend this book to, and considering my love of the written word, that my friends says it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment