Quote of the Week

Miss a meal if you have to, but never miss a book!

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Our Choice: A Plan to Solve the Global Climate Crisis




I read this book as my choice for our April Earth Day book club. It was an extremely detailed and well thought out book. I didn't really know what to expect when I started reading this but was surprised to find the amount of detail on each topic/cause of global warming.

Al starts his work with a quote and it is one that I know I will remember forever, "If you want to go quickly, go alone; if you want to go far, go together. We must go far - quickly." I think that Al is right in many regard, I believe that global climate change is real and I also believe that man is a contributing factor. I agree that there is a huge campaign instigated to convince us that we needed worry about global climate change, it isn't our fault and even if it is, it will never be too late to do something about it.

Where we differ is on *what* should be done about it. I think common sense should prevail. After all, environmentally friendly lightbulbs ( which I use) sound like a great idea until the uneducated masses start using them and not disposing of them properly causing mercury and more to leech into the ground water, and that is ust a simple example.

I say common sense should prevail - reduce, reuse, recycle. Use less. Consider what we consume and stop using the bottom dollar as the only measure of what we should and should not do. So while Al's book was informative on the problems that we face and the causes of those problems, I think he could have gone further with possible solutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment