Quote of the Week

Miss a meal if you have to, but never miss a book!

Sunday, June 10, 2012

My Russian Fascination Must Be Over

I have an intense interest in all things Russian. I love Rand, Solzhenitsyn, tales of Anastasia and all Russian history. This book though left me colder than the steppes of Siberia. The premise is that the older daughter of the deceased Rasputin, Masha, is called to the aid of the young czarevich, Alexi. History tells us that young Alexi was a hemopheliac and that Rasputin, a revered holy man and believed healer was entrusted by the Romanov family with the care of the young czarevich. The story had some interesting details in it, but was otherwise almost completely unbelievable. I had little care for the character of Masha and the only one who seemed even human to me was Alexi, whom Masha calls by another name. Seriously, even if you are a history buff and love Russian history, I wouldn't waste my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment