Quote of the Week

Miss a meal if you have to, but never miss a book!

Sunday, October 2, 2011

So, what else have I been reading?




So just like almost everyone else on the planet, I loved Katherine Stockett's novel The Help. The story, in case you haven't heard, takes place in the deep south, pre-civil rights Mississippi to be exact. It is about a young, white woman who wants to evaluate the society around her through a different lens, through the eyes of the "help". In this book, Skeeter assists Abilene, Minny and other black maids working for white families and raising white children, put their experiences into words. I really enjoy works of fiction that allow you to step out of yourself and see life through a completely different lens. This book helped me relate to the characters of Abileen and Minny, in particular, in ways that I had previously not experienced. This makes for a great book club discussion and I would highly recommend this book to all. If you haven't read it, what are you waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment