Quote of the Week

Miss a meal if you have to, but never miss a book!

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Band of Angels



This was our recent book club selection. I'm trying to step back and let the other ladies lead a little more, after all, the point of a book club is reading a book that you normally wouldn't. This was one of those books.

It was an interesting book written about a time and place that I know very little about. War is a terrible thing, but imagining what war must have been like in the in the mid 1800's. Part of this book is based on a true story. The Crimean war was a horrible and costly conflict. The British lost thousands to typhus and malaria alone. British outcry over the treatment of soldiers in the Crimea finally brought enough pressure to bear that Florence Nightingale was given permission to take 30 nurses to help to the hospital in Scutari. This is one nurse's story. For those of you interested in this sort of thing, you can read more about the actual history behind the story here

All the fascinating history aside, this book is basically a love story. The love story aspect was refreshing for the time period in which it is based. The female lead, Catherine, is actually an extremely strong character who does what she feels she must, in spite of her lovers thoughts and objections.

I'm glad I read the book, but would only give it a three out of five stars. It's not a must..... but I did feel like I learned something. I went into it thinking it was a glorified romance novel and it was much more than that!

Very exciting about my summer reading! Now I am working on the Infinity Tower by Sara Douglass who I adore! If you like fantasy, the Wayfarer Redemption is a great book. Then perhaps the Overton Window, The Passage, The Lion's Game and more. The library and my Nook are full of endless possibilities and I have some catching up to do.

My fifth graders gave me a gift card to Borders. Those children are geniuses!

No comments:

Post a Comment