Quote of the Week

Miss a meal if you have to, but never miss a book!

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Sarah's Key




We read this for the February book club. It was a great selection and I'm glad that I read it. It was very sad, but also a quick read, once you are in to the story it is very difficult to put down.

I learned so much while reading this story. I had no idea that the French were complicit in the annihilation of thousands of French Jews during the Occupation of France. In July of 1942, thousands of men, women and children were rounded up and placed inside the Vel de Hiv under absolutely abominable conditions. One of the main characters of the story, Sarah, was one such child.

The story alternates between telling the story of Sarah in 1942 and Julia in the present. Julia is an American journalist living in France writing about the Vel de Hiv roundup. The story eventually combines the two storylines in surprising ways.

Sarah is a very strong character, and in the later chapters, when the storyline converges and focuses more on Julia, the story loses some of it's emotional connection. I felt empathy for Julia but lacked the intensity of feeling for her that I shared for Sarah and her family.

I am glad that I read this book. I think it is important to continue to learn more so that these atrocities will never be repeated. We will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment