Quote of the Week

Miss a meal if you have to, but never miss a book!

Tuesday, January 26, 2010




We read this book for one of my book clubs and all I can say is that I am eternally grateful to the two women who recommended this book to me and I think it was an absolutely fantastic way to start of 2010!

I have always thought highly of Michael J. Fox, he just has that "likable" type of personality. From Alex P. Keaton to Marty McFly, I feel like Michael J. Fox has been a part of my life for the last twenty years, and in some ways, he has. He comes off as being the sincere and funny guy next door and after reading his life in his own words, I think that he really is that guy.

Michael refers to himself as an "incurable optimist" and I have to say that I was amazed throughout the book at his constant positive attitude. Even during the Bush years and the lack of funding for research into Parkinson's, Fox didn't just wallow in self pity but rather became a proactive voice both for himself and for millions of others who don't have such a marketable name and face. He never gives up, he never gets down. If he can put his pants on one shaky leg at a time and try to make the world a better place, then I think I can.

This was truly a wonderful book. It was poignant, funny and most of all inspiring. I loved every aspect of it, from hearing about Michael's television career, to the founding of the Michael J. Fox Foundation and finally to his becoming a political activist. I admire his humor, his courage, his strength and most of all his unfailingly positive outlook on life. I recommend this book highly and I think Michael J. Fox is an inspiration....

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more! It was one of the most inspirational books I have ever read; so poignant and well written. I was surprised to find such a deeper person and faith in someone I had always liked because of his humor. I admire how candid he was about how he and his family deal with his illness. Amazing book!

    ReplyDelete