Quote of the Week

Miss a meal if you have to, but never miss a book!

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The Christmas Sweater

So I just finished reading The Christmas Sweater by Glenn Beck yesterday. It is a touching novel about one boys Christmas and his realization of what the greatest gift of all is.
My knowledge of Glenn Beck is limited to his radio/ television political talk show. My father was a fan, so in honor of him, I thought I would give this book a try. I didn't go into the book with very high expectations but was quickly surprised. I guess it just goes to show that just because I don't agree with Beck politically I should not have underestimated his ability as a story teller.
Since my father passed 4 months ago, in many ways it was a difficult novel to read as it is about a young boy who has also lost his father. So often those of us who live a charmed life, as I believe that I in many ways do, take for granted that everyone experiences the holidays in the same way that we do. This book is a poignant reminder of those who focus on the true meaning of the holiday rather than just the presents under the tree.
For anyone who likes to read heartwarming books about the meaning of the season, and about the greatest Gift of all - Redemption - I recommend The Christmas Sweater.

2 comments:

  1. I loved this book. I have to say that I agree with his views and my husband watches him all the time, but whether or not you agree with him politically, his book reaches the heart of any reader.....I was so into this book that it only took me a few days to finish it; and it kind of reminded me of The Shack, the way that it made you think about the path that your life is going and where to go next! Both of these books are excellent reads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved The Shack too. It was my number one book for 2009 - definitely life changing! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on The Christmas Sweater.

    ReplyDelete