Quote of the Week

Miss a meal if you have to, but never miss a book!

Saturday, February 4, 2012

War Horse by Michael Marpurgo




Last year I had several students - boys - who loved to read about history. I saw the previews for this at the movies and I realized that it was based on a book. Stories about animals always really choke me up, but I knew that I had to read this book.

I'm SO glad that I did!!! I love horses and if for no other reason, this book is a wonderful horse story. That said, it is also so much more than that! It's a story of love, trust, friendship, courage and loyalty. The personification used by the author for the horse, Joey, represents the best in all of us and all we hope to be. It reminded me much of the timeless classic, Black Beauty, but of course, more from a boys perspective. Like Black Beauty, it is told from the perspective of the horse, Joey. It is a brilliant story but if you read it ( and I highly recommend that you do!) better have the tissues handy! Joey and all the characters of this treasure are unforgettable.

I recommend this for readers of all ages, especially those with an interest in history. Great book for boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment